Jan 10, 2011

Shortbread Jam Cookies

Reflecting on years past, I thought I'd do a repost. Enjoy, and here's to a wonderful 2011!
Warning: These must be eaten in moderation! I veganized a shortbread recipe from my old Mrs. Field's cookie book, which does not skimp on butter and sugar. Thus the warning. I am attempting to lower my blood pressure by losing 5 lbs. as my doctor suggested, so I baked these for my crew... honest! I did taste a bit to make sure they were good, though ;) Ok, back to the treadmill!

Ingredients:

2 sticks of vegan margarine (I told you!)
1/4 C. light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C. all purpose flour
strawberry (or other) jam

Spinz:

Cream the margarine and sugar, then add the vanilla and flour and mix until you get a smooth dough. Arrange on a prepared cookie sheet (they won't spread, so you can fit a lot) for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Lightly golden when done.

For the "pinwheel" cookies, I rolled out the dough on a floured surface and cut it into squares. I then cut a line from each corner towards the center. Put some jam in the middle of the square, and folded every other corner to meet in the center. Got tired after a while, and made the rest into thumbprint cookies!

Do you remember the story of the polar bear that visited the huskies? I came across this picture, and it made me smile! If a wild bear can be loving towards a fellow animal, why can't we?

If you haven't already, read the full story - the other pics are SO cute!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, those cookies look great. They've got jam, so it counts as fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah... look tasty!

    And yeah... I saw this video on YouTube. It's very lovely...

    ~Prince Tony~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cookies with jam fillings, and these look just gorgeous. Also love the simple ingredient list.
    Happy new year, VegSpinz. And your mascots are simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an adorable couple!
    good luck with the weight loss, DJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great, and I love the warning!

    ReplyDelete