Jul 1, 2009

A New Leaf

I've been dragging my feet on doing much of anything inspiring lately, but I realize that this is doing nothing to honor Mom's spirit- or my own. Before I begin, I'd like to first thank everyone who left kind and supportive comments for me- I certainly felt your energy, and was uplifted by it!

For Mom's memorial service, I compiled over 100 old photos and created a 5 minute slide show. In doing so, I stumbled upon so many great memories and photos I had never seen before.

Mom hosting one of her dinner parties

Making me a birthday cake

During this whole process of dealing with death, Mark (my housemate) started a new garden in our backyard- which was once thought to be an impossibility due to our digging, chewing, laying-all-over doggies. He overcame this obstacle by building a makeshift "fence," to the doggies' dismay!

Here they are on top of the spa- feeling frustrated about not being able to make the jump.

As I looked upon Mark's creation, full of vibrant green color and tender new leaves, I realized that from death springs forth new life again- a process as old as time, and a defining aspect of life itself.

In just a few short months, our garden has flourished incredibly...

... and has created some wonderful veggies!

Crooked Neck Squash
White Eggplant
Peppers

Recipes to come!

11 comments:

  1. Awww, this post was really awesome. I love that picture of you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing. glad to have you back, girl. that garden is gorgeous and i love, love, love the photo of you as a kid with yer ma and the cake.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing thing to do to honor your mother. i actually planted my garden the day before my mom died. now everything that comes out of the garden and into my mouth is all for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks wonderful. It's a great way to feel more connected, and certainly something to be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you, too.

    That pic with your mom making you a bday cake is the best.

    Sending you lots of good thoughts.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your mom put on a spread didn't she! Photo's bring such wonderful memories, it's nice you are putting together an album.
    Your garden is so abundant and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is so beautiful! I'm really happy that you were able to channel your emotions into such a positive project, and are now able to reap the rewards.

    Best wishes, I've been thinking of you and hope you're doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous of your garden! Thank you for sharing your mothers pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I missed this. I'm so sorry about your mom. I lost my dad two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That garden looks absolutely amazing. And those pictures with your mom are invaluable, Karma. Thanks for sharing those. I lost my mom when I was just seven, and I still miss her every day. I wish I had more pictures of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Your garden is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete