Jul 14, 2011

Chocolate Mint Plant, Candied Mint Leaves



A few months ago, I stumbled upon one of these mint varieties at a supermarket, and had to have it!  It smells (and tastes) like chocolate mint- no kidding!  Unlike regular mint, it's less fibrous and the texture reminds me more of basil.  Luckily, after planting it in my herb garden, it grew beautifully.  




So I decided to make candied (or sugared) mint leaves, which is typically done with egg whites.  I found that using ground flaxseeds and water (flax eggs) worked well.  I also put my raw sugar into my Magic Bullet to make it into a fine powder.  You could also use a spice or coffee grinder for this.
Tips:  Dip the leaves in the sticky flax mixture, then squeeze off excess with your fingers so it won't be too clumpy.  Then sprinkle sugar evenly over leaf (front and back), and shake off excess.  Put leaves on a drying rack for a few hours, or until they're hardened.


Here are the finished leaves.  They taste like chocolate mint candy, and they're perfect for...


...Ice cream!

7 comments:

  1. You should found the best combo in one....chocolate mint! I've never had that and what you did with it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love my chocolate mint plant too! I couldn't believe it when I found it, but it does smell and taste like it. I'm going to try this for sure because it went crazy in my garden too. Chocolate mint candies? Yum! Love that you used a flax egg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, and such a smart method! I usually just dip them in simple syrup before tossing the leaves in sugar, but they always stay pretty sticky. I'll definitely try the flax approach next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there was such a thing as a chocolate mint plant, that's so cool. Love the candied version! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning to buy mint for my little balcony garden but I was unable to decide which version should I choose. But now i know that I am soo buying the chocolate mint version:-) And I am so doing candied mint leaves as well :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I'm making mint-choc coconut milk icecream on the weekend - guess what I now want to prepare to serve with it :D

    ReplyDelete